The clock continues to tick in the NFL lockout and I’m losing hope that I’ll be seeing any pigskin this year. So, what the heck? Here are a few baseball vids for shiggles.
The Top Five Most Amazing Baseball Plays ALL TIME*
* If Time Only Existed in the 10 Minutes I Spent On YouTube
1. Okay, this one’s already made the rounds on the web faster than a Red Hot Chili Peppers groupie in Lollapalooza, but here’s a Cirque du Soleil throwing out the first pitch at Petco Park. I’m not sure what’s more amazing: the flip-pitch or the fact that he can wear that costume without a shred of irony?
2. This is called a “spider-man catch” because the outfielder spews webbing form his wrists and … wait, no, that’s not quite it. Well, you get the picture. So, watch Masato Akamatsu’s Spider-man Catch and be amazed by both his athleticism and the fact that a Japanese player actually cracked a smile of pride.
3. …until he saw this Spider-man Catch by a Ball Girl. Again, what is better: her athleticism or the cool “Yeah-I-Just-Did-That” nod to the MLB player who stood with mouth agape? Now, that’s the 21st Century version of “You play baseball … like a girl!” Gloria Steinem would be proud — well, probably not.
4. Speaking of non-MLB plays, here is the aforementioned amazing and Longest Pickle (rundown) Ever Recorded By A Softball Dad With Shaky Caffeine Hands. I may have editorialized a little, there.
5. And this one is not about athleticism, or spectacle, or even cute kiddie luck. This one is about the most important and (presently forgotten) part of the game: sportsmanship. It’s a famed play as it won a national award but I still remember this whenever anyone talks about amazing baseball moments (screw you purists and your softball differentiation). Sarah Tucholsky’s First and Last Homerun:
So, there you go. I haven’t really enjoyed MLB since after the Jays twofer’d the World Series and then the league went on strike (but the reasons for that are for a whole different post) but, even though I find it hard to stomach watching an entire game, it still makes for fun highlights.
And every once in a while, I still care about the boys and girls of summer.